There is more than one artist with this name:
1) Petra is a Christian Rock band formed in 1972 by Bob Hartman, Bill Glover, John DeGroff, and Greg Hough. "Petra" means "rock" in NT Greek, making the band name a triple pun. Rising from the Jesus music movement, and initially signed to [recordlabel]Myrrh Records[/recordlabel], they fought to gain acceptance and recognition in a church culture that at the time believed rock music to be off-limits. Over time they eventually won over most of their critics, thanks to a steady approach and some solid adult contemporary airplay hits like "The Coloring Song," outside of their usual rock fare. By the mid-80's, when lead singer Greg X. Volz left the band and was replaced by John Schlitt, Petra had solidified their place as the foremost Christian rock band in the industry with a string of hit albums and singles and strong touring. The release of Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out marked a turn towards modern-sounding worship music that would soon explode into the modern worship movement.
Petra was nominated for and won numerous Grammy and Dove Awards. In 1991, after the release of their acclaimed Beyond Belief record, Petra became the first rock band ever to win for Group of the Year at the Dove Awards. They were also the first Christian rock band to be inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame.
For three decades Petra continued to produce albums despite changes in their line-up as well as the genre and market. On May 24th, 2005 Petra announced their retirement after 33 years of ministry. They recorded one of their final performances in Franklin, Tennessee to release it as their last album, Farewell. Their last performance finished in the early hours of January 1, 2006 in Murphy, North Carolina. Bob Hartman and John Schlitt continue to tour under the moniker II Guys From Petra.
Lineups through the years:
Early 80's Captured in Time & Space lineup: Bob Hartman, Greg X. Volz, John Slick, Mark Kelly, Louie Weaver, John Lawry
Late 80's "Beyond Belief dream team" lineup: Bob Hartman, John Schlitt, John Lawry, Louie Weaver, Ronny Cates
Late 90's Petra Praise 2 - We Need Jesus lineup: John Schlitt, Louie Weaver, Lonnie Chapin, Pete Orta, Kevin Brandow
Farewell CD lineup: John Schlitt, Bob Hartman, Greg Bailey, Paul Simmons, with special appearances by Greg X. Volz and John Lawry
More members: Rob Frazier, Jim Cooper, David Lichens, Trent Thomason, Bryce Bell, Quinton Gibson, Justin Johnson
See also http://www.petraband.com/
2) Petra is a Belgian singer. She started as Petra & Co and then continued as Petra. In 2006 she also participated as La Sakhra in the preselections for the Eurovision songcontest where she became second with the great song Wonderland.
3) Petra is from México, they have indian, turkish, arabic and gypsie influences. They have released three albums so far. All songs were composed by Fausto Palma and the rest of the band members are:
Salvador Patiño (sax)
Manuel Rodríguez (drums)
Enrique Rosales (bass)
Josafat Larios (percussions)
Paul Conrad (tuba)
Fausto Palma (oud and electric guitar)
Pablo Ramírez (clarinet)
4) Petra (Gargano) is also a Finnish singer continuing her career after her previous band Tiktak disbanded 2007. Her debut album Rakas kaupunki was published at May 2009. Her second album Kaksi pintaa was published at February 2013. All of Petra's tracks are sung in Finnish.
5) Petra Sihombing is an Indonesian male vocalist.
6) Petra (Donostia/San Sebastián) is a basque group, playing what they call desert rock. Music with phrygian mode and stoner rock touches.
http://petrataldea.bandcamp.com/ Read more on Last.fm. User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License; additional terms may apply.